Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cuba

What really scares me is that Fidel Castro says he believes in Obama, thinks he's a good man, Raul Castro wants Guantanamo's prison and base to be closed and "the territory it occupies should be returned to its legal owner - the Cuban people." Are you kidding me?!?! OK, so the average American doesn't give much thought about Cuba, most don't care. But ever since my trip to Cuba, I have a new awareness and concern for the country. Giving back land to it's rightful owners... the Cuban people, that is a joke. The Cuban people don't own anything. They are prisoners in their own land. Their careers are chosen for them, like they get paid much at all anyway. Their food is rationed. They live in fear, in shacks. They aren't even allowed down on the beautiful beaches, only tourists are. So why are we rewarding the evil Communist leaders?? I have no idea!! It makes me so mad I could just spit, haha. Seriously though... if we're going to "negotiate" with the Castros like Obama has so graciously offered to do, why don't we show a little more concern for the real freedom of the Cuban people instead of the "rights" of terrorist prisoners in Guantanamo and making life easier for the evil dictators. I just shake with anger when I see billboards all over the Cuban streets advertising the "RevaluciĆ³n!" and when the Cuban people won't even dare say "his" name but annoyingly refer to "him" (only when necessary) by a gesture that looks like they are making a beard under their chin with their hand. I thought it was a joke at first, but they seriously do not ever say Fidel's name. I remember all the friends I made there and their desperate attempt to understand the American way of life. They just could not even fathom the freedom and the wealth that we have. They begged our group several times to take them with us back to America. They are not allowed to even leave the country unless they win the "lottery" that happens every year when only a few families are chosen to make the coveted trip to Miami, only if they can afford it of course. The Cuban government's attempt at anti-American propaganda all over the streets and on TV doesn't sell. The people know they are prisoners, they know life could be better and they know that America is not evil. All I could do is look at their sweet faces and tell them that we do care, we do love them and unfortunately I don't have the power to do anything to help them. I pray for my Cuban friends everytime I think of them and their sad way of life. So my point, and then I'll hush... for one of the most evil and hateful Communist leaders in the world to think that Obama "is a good man" and will close Guantanamo really scares me.

k, I'm done.

No comments: