Sunday, August 8, 2010

Contentment

The past few weeks Pastor Craig has been preaching through the Disciple's Prayer and this week the sermon was on the verse, Give us each day our daily bread. (Luke 11:3)

God provides for us each and every day, exactly what we need for that day. We don't always know what tomorrow will bring, but we know that today, he will provide for our needs. Not necessarily all of our wants, but our needs. Food. Clothing. Shelter. He will provide. Through this part of the sermon I was nodding in agreement because I have seen in my own life that yes, God does indeed provide for all of my needs.

Then came the next part of the sermon, the convicting part...

We should be content with what we have.

I have never been one to desire great wealth or the nicest car or the biggest house or the stylish clothes or all the extras that tend to complicate life more than they add to it. I'm not bashing anyone who has, but honestly, I don't care about those things. But since I'm being honest here, I am not always content with what I have either. I look around the world and in my own town and see all of those who have nothing. Literally nothing. It breaks my heart. It really puts things in perspective. All of my wants suddenly become so trivial and don't matter any more.

It's not that when you become a Christian, God expects you to become poor. He does however, expect obedience in all things. And all of the money we have belongs to Him and we should be good stewards. Most people misquote this verse, but money is not the root of all evil, it's the LOVE of money that's the root of all evil. There is nothing wrong with working hard and having nice things, and going on vacations and saving for retirement. Nothing at all. But if all the extras is where we put our trust and if those are the things that consume us and money and status are what's important to us, we are headed down a path of destruction.

Consider this passage of scripture...

"If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

- 1 Timothy 6:3-10


We should be storing up treasures in heaven, not on earth.


"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you." - Matthew 6:33


Lord, thank you for providing for all my daily needs. I choose to be content with what I have.


Addendum: I found this quote by Dr. James Dobson today and I think it fits perfectly with this post.

"I have concluded that the accumulation of wealth, even if I could achieve it, is an insufficient reason for living. When I reach the end of my days, a moment or two from now I must look backward on something more meaningful that the pursuit of houses, land, machines, stocks and bonds. Nor is fame any lasting benefit. I will consider my earthly existence to have been wasted unless I can recall a loving family, a consistent investment in the lives of people and an earnest attempt to serve the God who made me. Nothing else makes much sense."

No comments: