Wednesday, August 18, 2010

WOM

I'm on a team at our church called Women on Mission (WOM) which is part of our Women's Ministry. I LOVE this team and I love being involved in local and foreign missions projects. We plan a meeting/event about four times a year. Last night we had such a wonderful time at our summer meeting.

First, we collected paper products for the Raleigh Rescue Mission. Our original plan was to collect school supplies but after speaking with our contact at the mission, she said their shelves were almost completely bare of paper products. We collected so many things that it took two cars to get it all over there this morning. It is so exciting to be a part of this wonderful, Christ-centered ministry. I love going over to the mission and helping making a small difference in people's lives. The workers and volunteers at the RRM are so awesome and so appreciative and I love meeting them and getting to know them. We are laboring together despite our differences in culture, race, denomination, age, gender or background. It is such a beautiful picture. I know it makes God smile.

Secondly, we had a special time of prayer for Oyster Bay Baptist Church (love that name!) down in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Most of their members are in the fishing industry and have been affected by the oil spill. Since most of them have lost their income they are in obvious need of much prayer and encouragement. We wrote cards to the individual families at the church and I hope so much that they feel loved and encouraged by them. We got an email from the Pastor at their church and he told us that their Women's Ministry group had a special prayer time for us!!! That just gave me goose bumps all over! How sweet it is to know that we are all praying for each other. Again... another beautiful picture that I know God is pleased with. As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. - Proverbs 27:17

And I know that no one will be surprised that I'm bringing up food here but I certainly can't talk about our meeting last night without mentioning the homemade pimento cheese sandwiches that one of our friends made. Holy Moly! Those things were awesome! I must get that recipe!

No comments: