Wednesday, February 21, 2007

First day of training

Ok, so I'm training to run a 5K. Kyle and I are teaming up with some people from church and decided to get our lazy butts in shape. Today was DAY 1 of training. I'm starting at 1.5 miles just because that's how far it is from my house to the main road and back. I'm trying to remember some training skills from track practice so right now I'm just running distances and not worrying about time. After I get up to 4 miles I'll start timing myself. But when you first start training, endurance is more important than speed. (I really did listen to Coach Daddy sometimes, haha) After a couple of weeks I'm going to step it up a little bit. It was rough at first since it's been 3 years since I've ran consistantly. But I made it and I am feeling pretty good night now. And yes, I suck up the cold and run outside because I despise running on the treadmill. It tricks your body into thinking you can run the same distance in the same amount of time on real streets. It's fine if you just want to burn some calories, but if you're training for a race you need to run on real ground. All you have to do on a treadmill is move your legs, the ground is moving for you. Running on the street, you have to push yourself forward and move your legs. I don't want my body to get all wussy. I'm not trying to hate on all of you dedicated treadmill runners, no no, I'm just saying is all. OK, off the soapbox.
I really miss running. It's such a good stress reliever. And definitely gets you into shape faster than anything else but swimming. Well I will keep you updated more on the wedding stuff later, just thought I would throw that bit of information at ya! Have a great week
!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

YAY! That's so exciting that you guys are doing this :) You're much braver than me! I agree, running is a wonderful stress reliever...just wish it weren't so hard on all the joints...

Keep us posted on your progress!

Kristen said...

You guys rock! I am so jealous. I would love to do a half marathon, but have never got up the stamina to train. :>)