Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Long Week

I felt better last week after working 70 hours than I have felt in months. True story.

A little background here. As you know Kyle and I just finished up Dave Ramsey's, Financial Peace University class. (Have I said before that I highly recommend this class?) So I got to thinking... I really really really want to be able to stay home when I have kids. I don't mind working part time but I want to be home during the day with my kids. That's just how it is. But we still have a lot of things that we want to either pay off or things we want to buy BEFORE we have kids. I figured it would be worth busting now and working extra hard to be able to stay home with my kids later.

SO... I decided to start a second job (non-health care related). A low-stress, easy kind of job. I have worked two MRI jobs at the same time before and it was way too physically, mentally and emotionally stressful for me. So I took a job at Kohl's working in their advertising department. I go in 2-4 nights a week and work until 1 or 2am. I wasn't sure how I would like it but so far it's not that bad. I am on a team with about 7 other people but mainly we work individually. We break up the store in sections and we divide and conquer. It's quiet, I'm by myself for the most part and the best part... there's not much customer service involved. Not that I don't love people, because I do. I love working in health care where I'm with people ALL day. I just need a break sometimes. I am obviously not making as much as I would with an MRI job but it's something. Our goal is to use the money I make at Kohl's to pay off some things and save the rest. I set a goal to work there until the end of the year. That gives me some kind of motivation to keep going. I can see the end and I know it's not forever. At the end of the year, we'll see how well we've done. I've already received my first paycheck and a 100 on my first audit so that was very exciting! A little more motivation to keep going! I must admit, the employee discount is super nice, so hopefully I will make it out of the store with at least some of my paycheck left!

Anyway, so between the Rex job and the Kohl's job last week I worked over 70 hours. I averaged about 4 hours of sleep a night all week. I thought I would feel like crap by the end but I actually felt great. I was tired, but it was a good kind of tired. It was the "I worked hard and made lots of money" kind of tired. I didn't even get a headache at all last week!! What?!?! I know. Crazy.

Maybe I usually get too much sleep or maybe God just gave me what I needed to get through the week. Either way, I'm thankful for the health, energy and supportive husband to do what it takes now to have what I want later. All I can say is "gazelle intensity" baby! :)


The next few weeks are going to be crazy!! Thank goodness for no more 70 hour work weeks for awhile. We have a wedding, a high school graduation, two graduation parties, a birthday and Father's Day! Fun stuff!


Love and blessings to all of you!

No comments: