Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Memorization

I have challenged myself to participate in Beth Moore's Siesta Scripture Memory Team this year. It involves memorizing any Bible verse of my choosing every two weeks, for a total of 24 verses by the end of the year. It's going to be hard but very rewarding. I have a spiral of note cards where I will write my verse down every two weeks. I will keep my spiral with me in my purse wherever I go this year so I will always have it to refer back to. I was involved in a Bible program when I was younger that required memorizing one or more verses every week and to this day I still remember a lot of them. It's amazing how God will bring these verses to your mind when you're in the middle of a tough, scary , confusing situation or just when you need some guidance and direction. We are in a spiritual battle everyday whether we realize it or not. "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (Ephesians 6:12)  Our only offensive piece of armor if described in Ephesians 6:17 as the sword of the spirit, which is the Word of God.We need to have the Word in our minds so we can stand and fight. Kyle is already holding me accountable by asking me everyday to say my verse... as well as the 8,000 other ladies who are participating. I also ask each of YOU to pray for me and help hold me accountable for memorizing my verses. *Grin*

My first verse is about my thoughts. I won't be able to conquer my words and my actions until I conquer my thoughts. Let's see if I can type it from memory...

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things." - Philippians 4:8 (NIV)

If I can stick with this, I know I won't be sorry!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!! I really want to memorize more this year too. My goal is Colossians by the the end of the year.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. Do you mind if I ask what your source is for this information?

Lindsey Fescoe said...

http://blog.lproof.org/2010/12/siesta-scripture-memory-instructions.html