Saturday, February 27, 2010

I'm weird...

I'm not really sure why I'm writing this post, I guess I'm hoping that someone out there can relate to me here. I've never really sat down and analyzed this, but I hate grocery shopping. Like seriously, I'd rather scrub toilets. No lie. I truly despise the task of grocery shopping. I don't know why, it's really not that hard, but I hate it. I'm in heaven when I can convince Kyle to do it for me. But let's be serious, I'm way too anal not to worry the whole time that he's not getting the exact right thing that I would get. oh well. Anyway... does anyone else hate grocery shopping as much as I do?? This is the main reason why I can't save any money on food and why I can't stick to couponing. I have about a 20 minute window that I need to have all the food in my buggy or I will break down. I can't explain it, but I have usually made it about 3/4 of the way through the store and all of the sudden out of no where I go into panic mode. It really scared Kyle the first few times he was with me. In a matter of seconds, my heart starts racing and I can feel my blood pressure rising, I start to sweat and I have got to get the heck out of that store or there is going to be a meltdown. I love Harris Teeter, it's pretty much the only place I shop now and it's almost an enjoyable experience. But the whole thing is just too much pressure or something. It's really ridiculous, I know. It's kind of embarrassing too. But I have learned to pick up the pace in the first half of the store and just grab stuff off the shelf so I can actually focus on the last half of the store every once in a while. I have tried the coupon thing but it really just annoys me more than anything and takes way too long. I'm weird.

Is it just me or is there anyone else out there who suffers with this ridiculousness??

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Maybe I am weird but I love grocery shopping! Sometimes it takes me over an hour to get through the store..

Lindsey Fescoe said...

oh my Court! Way to make me feel better about my "problem" haha. I LOVE the eating part, just not the shopping part, hmmmph!

Courtney said...

I think I learned to like it because I always had to go with my mom to the Commissary. I kid you not we were always there for 3 hours or more... I love the eating part too :)

Michelle said...

I'm with Court, I love it! I like it for a lot of reasons:

(1) I love cooking! I think grocery shopping is an extension of that. (2) I think produce is so pretty - I mean, come on, eggplants are the most beautiful purple and the lemons and oranges...just so pretty! (3) A lot of the time it means alone time for me...if I go over the weekend and leave the kids home for Chris. Alone time is priceless at this time in my life. (4) Grocery shopping is like vacuuming or making the bed to me - instant gratification. I enjoy the look of a stocked fridge and pantry.

Here's a trick I learned - I try to go when the store isn't crowded. If it's crowded then I get stressed out too.

Now, the part of the grocery shopping experience that I DON'T much care for is the menu planning and writing the grocery list.

Chris is a fantastic grocery shopper. Just train Kyle and make that is his weekly chore. If he knows how much you don't like it then I'm sure he'd be happy to do it for you :-)

Lindsey Fescoe said...

Mich - yeah I really don't enjoy cooking, so maybe that's part of why I hate the shopping so much

and I like instant gratification too(I do work in radiology after all)so maybe I should focus on that part of it...

Kyle has gone several times for me, he gets a little overwhelmed though when I sit him down and go over the list item by item and make sure he knows EXACTLY what to get... I should learn to let go, I really should.

DiDi's Blog said...

Walmart has that effect on me.... Get me out of there...I've left more than one buggy...

Lindsey Fescoe said...

Diane, I'm the opposite... I could walk around walmart or target for hours, haha.

My sister said she had a panic moment and left a buggy in Target the other day, I thought that was pretty funny, hehe :)